Feb 27, 2011

LMT journey, part 1. Life changing.

Life-changing.


I quit my job, went to Rwanda for 4-5 weeks, came back and wondered what I was going to do with my life. Always loved the idea of massage therapy + health + alternative therapies + a total life change. Luckily, my money job (not really a money job, I just never really bought anything) provided a savings account, so I have the great luxury of working part time while going to school. I am getting nervous about it - an unexpected move with unexpected expenses, and other unexpected life moments.... budgets simultaneously rule and rot.


So I decided to go Natural Health Institute here in Nashville. Going back to school at 34 is just weird. Weird, I say! Even with years of hearing, "Melanie, will you rub my shoulders?" I was not prepared for SCHOOL. For homework. I had no idea how to study. It was a rough go at first, even as I felt more and more confident about my choice. The more I learn, the less I know, and the more I love to learn. I love Reflexology, Aromatherapy, Kinesiology… my instructors are legit. So much experience, so much care, so much knowledge - they continue to pour their guts into their students, and they really care about us. I sit in class and am in awe of the creation of the human body. "Wait-a-second… this muscle can do THAT? and THAT?! from there?" Highly nerdy moments of excitement. Our bodies are brilliantly designed. If given enough time and proper resources, our bodies can heal themselves with their intrinsic wisdom. (of course there is that nasty percentile of crap that just happens) Keep it simple. Eat real food. Get real rest. MOVE. Fill your soul with good things. Fill your time with good people.


What I'm learning: I cannot effectively care for others if I don't properly care for myself.

Easier said than done, but let's give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment